Do you know what I like more than pancakes? Vegan & preferably healthy pancakes! Why? well, the list goes on and on but let’s start from the beginning:
Traditional pancakes are oftentimes filled with tons of sugar, white flour, and eggs. Are they tasty? Hell yeah, they are! Are they healthy? hmm not so much…
We all know by now that white sugar is addictive, has zero nutrients and you’ll be better off if you can avoid it altogether.
All-purpose white flour is oftentimes bleached. Bleached flour uses bleaching agents (commonly benzoyl peroxide and chlorine gas, among others) to speed up the flour’s aging process. You can find on the market also white flour which is naturally bleached without the chemical agents. White flour is also usually refined so the inner germ layer and the outer bran are removed. In the process, much of the fiber and essential nutrients like vitamins and minerals and phytochemicals are lost.
Stay away from any kind of white flour that can’t provide you with at least a decent amount of nutrients and opt for more nutritious flours like spelt, coconut, almond, etc.
Swap the eggs for chia egg or flax egg. Just add a tablespoon of chia seeds or even flaxseeds to a third of a cup and let it sit for approximately 20 minutes until becomes a gel-like consistency.
Swap the white refined sugar for a banana or a little bit of maple syrup.
Add some blueberries for a pop of color and some extra sweetness. Also, blueberries are packed with antioxidants which can protect your body from free radicals.
Cook your pancakes in coconut oil which has a higher smoking point than other oils. Or if you are trying to avoid oil, you can still cook your pancakes to perfection in a non-stick pan.
And voila!!! There you have it. Healthy, yummy pancakes which you can top with anything that your heart desires. Think blueberries, maple syrup, and almond flakes OR make it extra decadent with some chocolate chips, vegan whipped cream, and sliced bananas.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag a photo #earthlingeats on Instagram!Print
These vegan blueberry pancakes are great for a Sunday brunch and so easy to make!
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional)
- 1 cup plant milk (I used organic soy milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 mashed ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil + extra for greasing the pan
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/3 cup water
- Mix the chia seeds with the water and let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes until becomes a gel-like consistency.
- In a bowl whisk together the chia egg, mashed banana, maple syrup, milk, and the vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the flour + baking powder mixture and gently mix until combined.
- Then stir in the blueberries.
- Let the batter rest for 5-7 minutes.
- Heat some coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. (omit this step if you are using a non-stick pan)
- Pour a scoop of the batter into the pan letting cook for 2-3 minutes or until little bubbles start to form.
- Flip and cook for one more minute on the other side.
- Repeat until all the pancakes are made.
- If you want to avoid oil cook your pancakes on a non-stick pan. And also you can substitute the oil in the batter for 1/2 a mashed banana extra.
- Instead of blueberries, you can also add chocolate chips or raisins.
- You can also use a gluten-free flour blend to make this pancakes gluten-free.
- Category: Breakfast
Keywords: vegan, pancakes, blueberries, healthy, gluten free