Tofu scramble is not something new. Especially if you’ve been vegan for quite some time, I think you are quite familiar with it. It’s used a lot by people who avoid meat because tofu is packed with protein and the texture of it it’s quite similar to the one of meat.
When I was a kid I LOVED my scrambled eggs (way more than the sunny side up). Since I went vegan I couldn’t stand the smell and taste of eggs anymore.
To be honest with you guys, in the 3+ years while I was experimenting with vegan recipes I NEVER EVER had scramble tofu. I knew about it, I was reading about it, I was intrigued but I was still very skeptical at the same time… How can tofu assemble the texture and taste of an egg? (Spoiler allert: it doesn’t) BUT this is so much better. WAY BETTER.
Tofu is naturally almost tasteless, giving you the ability to play around with different flavors and spices. The tofu will absorb these flavors. It’s super versatile and also very healthy, packed full with plant protein.
In this recipe we don’t need much, just some firm tofu (almost all supermarkets cary it), a pinch of turmeric to give our tofu a pop of color, some mushrooms, some greens and you are set!
Make it extra fancy by adding some salsa or avocado… YUM!!!
You can have the tofu scramble on toast with mashed avocado and cherry tomatoes with a generous sprinkle of black pepper or chili flakes like I did here.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag a photo #earthlingeats on Instagram!Print
This tofu wrap is so full of flavor and satisfying, you will never miss eggs ever again! The perfect brunch meal that will keep you full all day.
For the tofu scramble:
- 250 grams firm tofu crumbled
- 1 medium shallot diced (or onion)
- 400 grams mushrooms (I use portobello or button mushrooms)
- 50 grams kale leaves
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- salt & black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon oil (for the pan, optional)
For the wrap:
- 2 large tortilla wraps (I use whole grain)
- salsa or ketchup (optional)
- 1 medium avocado sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper (optional)
- Start by sautéing the shallot first in a pan with a little bit of oil or just water until it turns golden brown. (about 3-4 minutes)
- Add the mushrooms and keep sautéing for another 3 minutes.
- Add the tofu crumbles, the kale, the turmeric, the salt and the pepper and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Warm up your tortillas and add the tofu scramble, the avocado, the sliced bell peppers and the salsa and wrap it up!
- To make this wrap gluten free simply use gluten free wraps.
- You can skip the turmeric but the tofu scramble will not have the same yellow-ish color of real eggs.
- Instead of kale you can also use baby spinach. If you’re using spinach add it to the pan 1 minute before you take it off the stove.