This is the tastiest homemade Pico De Gallo you'll ever make! It's a Mexican chunky salsa recipe with a twist, that's so simple to make at home with fresh ingredients that you can find at any grocery store.
Overview & Quick Links
This is not a traditional pico de gallo recipe. Because usually pico de gallo is made with tomatoes, onions, cilantro and Serrano pepper or jalapeños, it is indeed quite boring in my opinion. In this recipe, I added corn, red bell peppers (for crunch) and I skipped the jalapeños as I personally don't like spicy food.
If you'd prefer your pico de gallo with a kick feel free to add the jalapeños.
What is the difference between pico de gallo and salsa
Well, pico de gallo it is a salsa but the difference between pico de gallo and other salsas stands in two things.
- Pico de gallo is quite chunky, with chopped fresh ingredients and far less liquid than salsa which usually has a more liquid consistency.
- Usually, salsa is made with cooked or roasted ingredients and pico de gallo is made with raw, fresh ingredients. Never cooked.
Is pico de gallo good for you
Considering that we are using so many fresh vegetables and herbs, yes! This is a really healthy & fresh dip for your whole grain nachos. However, I really love this recipe on its own or as a topping for my Mexican Sweet Potato Enchiladas which are a must-try.
Ingredients that you'll need for this recipe
Since this recipe relies heavily on the flavors of the raw ingredients, make sure you use the freshest ingredients for this pico de gallo.
- Tomatoes - I used normal tomatoes, pulp removed, and diced.
- Red bell peppers - I love bell peppers in this because of the crunchy element it gives. You can go crazy with the colors too here. Try orange, yellow and red bell peppers and your pico de gallo will look like a rainbow 🌈
- Red onion - I prefer red onion over white onion because red onions tend to have a sweeter flavor.
- Parsley - or cilantro. Whatever works for you.
- Corn - I used canned sweet corn.
- Lime juice - or lemon juice.
- Salt & pepper - always.
How to make the best pico de gallo
This is a fairly easy recipe don't you think so? Chop all your ingredients, add them to a bowl. Add lime juice, salt and pepper and mix. So simple!
I would highly suggest making the pico de gallo at least a few hours in advance. That way all the juices from the tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, corn, and lime will have enough time to marinate in the juices providing a more intense flavor. Stir well before serving.
How long will it last in the fridge
The pico de gallo will last for up to a week in the refrigerator, sealed in an airtight container. The flavors actually get better the longer they sit, so make this recipe a day or two before serving!
Hungry for more? Try these recipes next:
I love to see all your yummy creations! ♡
- 3 tomatoes, pulp removed and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup sweet corn
- 1 bunch parlsley , or cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 lime, or lemon, juiced
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl and set aside until you're ready to serve. Enjoy!
- Serve the pico de gallo with whole-grain tortilla chips or my Sweet Potato Enchiladas.