This Chickpea ‘Tuna’ Sandwich will be a hit even among your non-vegan friends and family. This healthy protein-packed sandwich spread comes together in less than 10 minutes and can be enjoyed on toast or crackers.
For the chickpeas:
- 1 can of chickpeas (230 grams)
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise (I used Hellman’s)
- 3–4 medium-sized gherkins chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers (optional)
- 1/2 lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
For the sandwich:
- sliced bread (gluten-free if necessary)
- 3–4 cherry tomatoes
- baby spinach or lettuce leaves
- sriracha or hot sauce (optional)
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Mash the chickpeas with a fork or pulse in a food processor until chunky.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir together.
- Build your sandwiches. Bread, lettuce, cherry tomatoes and chickpea mixture. ENJOY!
- Make it spicy: add hot sauce or chillies.
- Make it healthy: swap the mayo for 2 tablespoons of tahini mixed with 1/2 a lemon juice and warm water until gets to your desired consistency.
- Make big batches and freeze them up to 2-3 months. Let it defrost in the fridge overnight.