The first time I made this Vegan Chickpea Tuna Sandwich it blew my mind! Why? Because it tastes exactly like tuna (ok ok not EXACTLY but very close). Texture-wise I would give it 9/10, taste 8/10 and smell? Well my boyfriend actually thought it's tuna when he smelled it, SAY WHAT?! (Pro tip: make this for your non-vegan friends and family and don't tell them it's actually chickpeas) 😉
The base of this recipe it's obviously chickpeas (otherwise known as garbanzo beans). I used canned chickpeas because well I'm lazy and I can't bother to cook anything, especially in these HOT summer days. Mash the chickpeas with the back of your fork or in a food processor for a few seconds, BUT not totally, we need chunks of chickpeas not a hummus like consistency.
Then comes the fun part. You can add whatever you like to this chickpea salad. My favorite combo is pickles, celery for crunch, mayonnaise for creaminess, some salt & pepper and half a lemon juice. You can also add:
- grated carrot
- sweet corn
- halved grapes
- smoked paprika
- nutritional yeast
- dill or parsley
The combinations are endless. Make it spicy by adding some hot sauce or healthier by swapping the mayonnaise with a bit of tahini mixed with lemon. YUM!
This vegan chikpea 'tuna' salad will keep well in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can also make big batches and freeze it. Let it defrost overnight for a healthy + filling breakfast.
In my opinion this is once again one of these 'magical' recipes that when veganized taste better than their original non-vegan version. OH HEY tofu 'better than eggs' scramble!
Looking for more tasty veganized recipes? I've got you covered!
I love to see all your yummy creations! ♥️
Vegan Chickpea 'Tuna' Sandwich
For the chickpeas:
- 1 can of chickpeas, 230 grams
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise, I used Hellman's
- 3-4 medium-sized gherkins chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers, optional
- 1/2 lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
For the sandwich:
- sliced bread, gluten-free if necessary
- 3-4 cherry tomatoes
- baby spinach or lettuce leaves
- sriracha or hot sauce, optional
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Mash the chickpeas with a fork or pulse in a food processor until chunky.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir together.
- Build your sandwiches. Bread, lettuce, cherry tomatoes and chickpea mixture. ENJOY!
- Make it spicy: add hot sauce or chillies.
- Make it healthy: swap the mayo for 2 tablespoons of tahini mixed with 1/2 a lemon juice and warm water until gets to your desired consistency.
- Make big batches and freeze them up to 2-3 months. Let it defrost in the fridge overnight.