Oh, WOW! That's all I have to say about these bad boys right here. Think gooey vegan stuffed dates, filled with creamy almond butter and dipped in dark chocolate, with a sprinkle of sea salt of course. They are the perfect quick & delicious little snack & they are also very healthy but taste so decadent.
Overview & Quick Links
The inspiration for these dates came from... all the stores around Dubai actually. Living in this city for the past 6 months or so I've got my fair share of dates, Medjool dates, stuffed dates, chocolate-covered dates, and all kinds of delicious little middle eastern treats.
That's why I decided to make some for the blog, as I'm honestly loving them, and they are always ready in my fridge for whenever I feel like a nice little treat. This is a vegan version, as I'm using all-natural almond butter (no palm oil) and vegan dark chocolate mixed with some vegan salted milk chocolate by Raw Halo, which is honestly one of the best vegan chocolates that I've tried.
What variety of date works best for this recipe
I personally love Medjool dates at any time, even though they are more on the pricier side. I tried quite a few varieties but nothing compares to the gooey, caramel-like richness of these dates (at least not in my opinion). But you can make these little almond butter bombs with any variety of dates.
🍫 How to store the chocolate dates
I like to make quite a few in advance, pop them in the fridge and whenever I feel like a sweet little treat, I just take one out and enjoy! They will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
📋 What do you need to make this recipe
First of all, I don't even like to call this a recipe. It's way too simple to be named a recipe haha. The good thing is that it requires very few ingredients, most of which you probably have in your cupboard anyway:
- Dates - as I said before, I prefer Medjool dates over any other type of date, but feel free to use whatever you like best and have on hand.
- Natural almond butter - (unsweetened and oil-free) or peanut butter, even tahini will work great.
- Chocolate - dark chocolate, milk chocolate, or your favorite vegan chocolate. I used a mix of dark chocolate & milk chocolate with pink Himalayan salt by Raw Halo.
- Coconut oil - just a tiny bit. I like to mix a little bit of coconut oil in the melted chocolate. That way when it cools down hardens and it becomes like a chocolate shell for your dates.
- Sea salt - to sprinkle on top because it looks fancy 😉 totally optional.
💭 How to make almond butter stuffed dates
Start by filling each one of your dates with almond butter. Don't forget to remove the pits! Then dip and roll them in the melted chocolate.
Add a little sea salt on them (totally optional) and place them in the fridge or freezer to cool. Enjoy!
Looking for more dessert recipes? I've got you covered!
I love to see all your yummy creations! ♡
Almond Butter Stuffed Dates
- 10 (10 ) dates , pitted
- 3 tbsp (3 tbsp) almond butter, natural, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup (90 g) vegan chocolate, melted
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp ) coconut oil
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) sea salt flakes, optional
- Take each one of your pitted dates and fill them with one heaped teaspoon of almond butter.
- Melt your chocolate in the microwave for 3 minutes until complete melted or melt it over a double boiler. Stir in the coconut oil and set aside.
- Take each stuffed date and roll it in the melted chocolate. If you want, add a little sea salt flakes on top of each date.
- Place the dates on a plate and cool in the fridge for 2 hours or in the freezer for 30 minutes. Enjoy cold!
- You can use any nut butter you like, think peanut butter, or even tahini.